Peter Scott Caldwell
Chartered Civil Engineer Chartered Arbitrator & Mediator
16th Floor Hong Kong Club Building 3A Chater Road Central Hong Kong SAR, China
Telephone: +852 2337 7874
Mobile: +852 9367 4933
Nationality: British (Hong Kong Permanent Resident)
Dont use this one
Arbitration, Adjudication, Mediation & Dispute Board Experience
Regularly appointed as sole arbitrator, presiding arbitrator, party-appointed arbitrator, adjudicator, dispute resolution adviser, dispute adjudication board member or mediator, for a wide variety of disputes or projects in Hong Kong and in other Asian jurisdictions involving parties from the Middle East, South Asia, East Asia, Europe, North America and Australia. First arbitral appointment 1985.
Arbitrator appointments have included disputes relating to:
Adjudicator appointments have included disputes relating to:
Mediator appointments have included disputes relating to:
Dispute Adjudication Board and Dispute Resolution Adviser appointments have included:
Qualifications, Professional Affiliations & Appointments
- Council Member, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (1990 to 2018)
- Chairman, Editorial Board “Asian Dispute Review” (Until 2016)
- Alternate Member of Development Bureau Working Group on Security of Payment Legislation for the Construction Industry (2016)
- Vice-chair, Regulatory Framework Sub-Group DoJ Working Group on Mediation, which advised the DoJ on the Mediation Ordinance (2012)
- Member, Hong Kong Department of Justice (DoJ) Working Group on Arbitration Law, which advised the DoJ on the Arbitration Ordinance (2011)
- Chairman, Society of Construction Law in Hong Kong (2008-2009)
- Member of Council, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators London (2001-2002)
- Member of the IBA Working Party which drafted the 1999 IBA Rules for the Taking of Evidence in International Commercial Arbitration
- Chairman, Conditions of Contract Committee, International Federation of Asian and Western Pacific Contractors’ Associations (IFAWPCA) (1996 – 1998)
- Secretary-General Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (1990 – 1998)
- Chairman Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Hong Kong Branch (1992-1994)
Practised as an engineer in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and in Asia before being appointed as Secretary-General of Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre in 1990. Since 1998, has been in practice as an arbitrator, adjudicator, mediator, conciliator, dispute resolution adviser and dispute adjudication board member.
|1967 – 1970||Assistant Engineer, Stirling County Council Roads Department, United Kingdom.|
|1970 – 1972||Assistant Resident Engineer, Edwards & Burrow Consulting Engineers, Kenya.|
|1972 – 1974||Civil Engineer, Engineering Services Department, Government of Qatar.|
|1974 – 1988||Maunsell Consultants Asia Limited, Hong Kong. Started as a Resident Engineer and progressed to Chief Contracts Engineer and Associate Director responsible for advising on contract documentation and claims for all projects managed from the Hong Kong Head Office.|
|1988 – 1990||Director, P&T Wallace Evans Limited, Hong Kong. Responsible for all aspects of a consulting engineering practice.|
|1990 – 1998||Secretary-General, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. Responsible for administration of mediation and arbitration in all sectors including construction, shipping, commodities and general trade disputes.|
|1998 to date||Director, Caldwell Limited, Hong Kong. A consulting engineering practice specialising in procurement strategy, project management, contractual claims and dispute management. Caldwell Ltd has been employed by government and quasi-governmental organisations, and contractors.|
Experience of construction works includes:
Invited speaker on construction management, contractual claims, and dispute resolution at international conferences and professional seminars around the world.
Author of papers and commentaries in various international and regional journals on construction disputes, the dispute resolution adviser system, mediation and arbitration.
Author of chapter on Hong Kong in “Practitioner’s Handbook on International Arbitration and Mediation” Third Edition (Juris) 2012.
About Caldwell Ltd
A consulting engineering practice specialising in procurement strategy, project management, contractual claims and dispute management. Caldwell Ltd has been employed by government and quasi-governmental organizations, and contractors.
Updated 22nd March 2022